The Season of Lent Has Arrived


Set your minds on things that are above,
not on things that are on earth.
Colossians 3:2


There are many traditions that accompany the Lenten season. We begin with the Ash Wednesday service when we receive the sign of the cross on our foreheads to symbolize our sinful nature and need for salvation. It’s traditionally a time to prepare our hearts for the Easter celebration when we receive the gift of the cross and resurrection. Our church uses the color purple to adorn the altar.  We have Easter egg hunts and Easter baskets. Another tradition is to give up something for the duration of Lent, a spiritual fasting. 

I don’t remember ever giving up something for Lent as a child. The first time I can remember making that commitment was in my mid-20’s and as a new Christian. I gave up chocolate, which is probably one of the most popular things to give up. I was not at home for Easter that year to receive the annual Easter basket full of candy and Peeps, but I bought a large chocolate candy bar to eat after church. It was my way of celebrating the end of Lent and my sacrifice. I remember feeling a sense of accomplishment in abstaining from chocolate all that time and a short-lived sense of power that I could do whatever I put my mind to. What I don’t remember feeling that day was any sense of intimacy with Christ, or any greater awareness or understanding of His sacrifice for me. I can say I gave up chocolate for Christ that year, but did I really? I think my sacrifice that year came out of my own self will and determination.  

But Christ is looking for something different. He doesn’t need me to give up something to test my will, He needs me to give up something to grow closer to Him. To abstain from something during Lent is a spiritual fast, so it has greater purpose then to just give up something. We fast to humble ourselves before God (1 Kings 21:27-29), to ask for forgiveness and return to God (1 Samuel 7:6), to overcome temptation, and dedicate ourselves to Him (Matthew 4:1 – 11). The difference in our Lenten sacrifice when we accompany it with prayer and attention to God is the end result at Easter. Rather than celebrating an accomplishment, we celebrate a closer relationship with Christ, a better understanding of His sacrifice, a greater hope in our salvation, and a stronger faith.

So, if you choose to fast this Lenten season, set your minds on things that are above and not on things that are on earth (Colossians 3:2). No matter what you choose to give up, remember to give that up with Christ in mind. Pray about what to give up and think of Christ when you consciously abstain. Use it as a reminder to seek Him, spend time with Him and grow with Him. Fasting without Christ gives you a momentary reward on Easter morning of self will and determination. With Christ, you have a lifetime of His grace, mercy and love.  




Comments

  1. Thank you, LeAnn! What a great perspective on fasting without Christ and with Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts