Confidence and Assurance

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for
and assurance about what we do not see.

The writer of Hebrews gives us the definition of faith.  It is confidence in what we hope for AND assurance about what we do not see.  These words have never become more true for me then the time my son announced to us he thought he wanted to attend a school to pursue a career in the military.   The first time he told us, my mind immediately went into a whirlwind of possible outcomes from that statement, none of which were positive.  I cried for 2 weeks and I literally prayed for God to show me why he shouldn’t go into the military.  But God did quite the opposite.  He began to show me characteristics of my son He had instilled in him that were needed for a military officer.  Through his application process for school, God showed us how He had directed my son’s path through high school to make him an appropriate candidate for the school he wanted to attend, giving us confidence this was God’s plan all along. When I would get anxious about what may happen to him, God comforted me with His promise that “I will take care of Him.” 

People ask me all the time are you scared that your son is in the military.  Of course, I am, I am his mom, and I have times of normal emotions of being anxious and scared.  But God always calms me with his promise that He will take care of him and I believe Him because of my faith.  Since I first accepted Christ, God has been teaching me about His character, who He is and what He is about.  He has instilled in me a confidence in Him and strengthened my faith so that when it came to this point that I would need His promise, I was able to stand on it firmly.  I have no idea what the future looks like for my son, but I do not fear what it may bring, for I know, through faith, God will lead us, strengthen us, comfort and protect us. 

So when I think of the words from the writer of Hebrews, I am thankful for what I know and understand of God.  I am thankful He is who He says He is and He will do what He says He will do.  I believe that He will fulfill His promise to me and take care of my son.  I don’t know what that looks like but whatever it is, I am confident God is in control and I am assured of what He will do. My faith is not based on a blind trust, God is never inconsistent with His promises.  He is all powerful, and eternally trustworthy.  So rather than facing my son’s choice with fear and trepidation, I am able to support him with joy and peace.  For my faith knows, the one that created Him, will also protect Him.  I have His promise.

Comments

Popular Posts